Working for Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union
Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative. Which means, we are owned by our members. Learn more about credit unions here. Credit unions were founded on the basic principle of “people helping people.” We believe we can only achieve this by staffing excellent people here at the credit union.
Our Mission Statement is “Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union provides a safe and sound comprehensive range of financial services to our family of members.” To deconstruct that, we want to emphasize the words safe, sound and family. When you’re in the business of handling people’s finances, it’s important to ensure the safety and security of our credit union. We take this task very seriously. Also, the family aspect is important to us because so many of our members have been with us since they were children with their very first account. We see them grow and progress and we want to service their financial needs throughout their lifetime.
What kind of skills and job history is expected to start a career at Great NorthWest FCU?
This depends on the position you apply for. Member Service Representatives (AKA Teller) positions are generally entry-level positions and we will work with you to train the skills needed. However, candidates who make excellent Member Service Representatives generally have the following skills:
- Cash Handling
- Great Member Service
- Good Communication
- Computer and Basic Office Equipment experience
- Works well in a team environment
We also look for people who would complement our culture. Active, engaged employees who have a passion for helping people – it’s what we do.
“I started at the credit union as an MSR when I was 19. They worked with me to develop my member service, communication and general office skills. I still work here 12 years later and have advanced within the credit union. I can’t imagine another working environment that would have allowed me to advance to my position starting from entry-level.” – Karla Peterson, Marketing & Community Development Specialist
What benefits does Great NorthWest FCU offer their employees?
As a staff member, you enjoy the benefits of being a member of the credit union, as well as employee benefits. This is not a full list, but it gives you a good idea of what you can expect as an employee.
- Employee Wellness program
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 401k plan including employer match
- Vacation day for your birthday
- Employee experience days
- Pizza day, Salsa Competition, branch celebrations etc.
- Employee referral program (up to $200 if you refer an awesome new employee)
- Employer-paid medical and dental benefits
- Quarterly Incentives
- IRA and HSA accounts with added 1% APY
“The average tenure of an employee here at Great NorthWest is 8.4 years. I think that’s saying a lot. Employees tend to stick around for the long haul because it’s a great working environment with a focus on respect and compassion. We take care of one another.” – Linda Vandiver, Vice President of Human Resources
What does the application process look like at Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union?
Great NorthWest FCU is an equal opportunity employer. We look at every application we receive and all are stored on file for one year. Generally, open positions are posted locally in newspapers, online and Facebook. The positions are always open until filled, however, some may list an end date for accepting applications. Here’s what to expect once you’ve turned in an application:
- Human Resources will review your application and resume based on the needs required by the position applied for;
- If you meet the requirements of the position, you will be contacted within 2-3 weeks to schedule an interview;
- The interview will include the VP Of Human Resources and the position Manager;
- If applicable, we ask for a typing test and ten-key demonstration;
- After the interview, generally within 2-5 days, we will notify you of the results with or without a job offer;
The job offer is contingent on credit, criminal & background checks along with a passed drug screen test.
- Please note that Great NorthWest Federal Credit Union is a drug-free employer. This means we screen for all narcotics, including those that are legal at the state-level.
Overall, just know that we are an easy-going group of fun people who are committed to helping other staff, members and our communities thrive.
We are actively seeking candidates for a part-time Member Service Representative in our Raymond branch. Click here to learn more and apply!